Home → URSUS Services for Registered Users
URSUS Services for Registered Users
Access the URSUS services
URSUS is the catalog for Maine State Library and for other libraries in the state. To access URSUS user services, you need to login with your name (patron name) and registered barcode.
When logged in, the following services are available:
- Renew your books
- View your patron record, including checked out books
- View your fines
- Request items
- View Maine InfoNet (Statewide catalog) items requested
To be a registered user and have full borrowing privileges at the Maine State Library, you must
- Be a Maine resident
- Fill out a registration card
- Show a valid ID with your current mailing address
- i.e. Maine drivers license, checkbook, car registration, Maine ID card, hunting or fishing license, etc
- Answers to frequently asked questions related to borrowing
You must be a registered user and have your barcode ready to borrow from other libraries.
- When you have the desired title showing on the screen, click the "Request" button.
- You will be prompted for your name, your barcode (back of your library card) and a pick-up location (choose Maine State Library)
- Click on "Submit".
- You will receive the following confirmation: "Your request for [title name here] was successful."
- Most requests take 3-5 business days to arrive. You will be called when the item is ready to pick-up. We will hold the item at the Circulation Desk for 7 days.
- Items can only be renewed once. The lending library assesses a $10 fee as soon as the item is late. We waive this fee, but we ask you to please be prompt when returning these items.
No available copy of what you wish to request?
- Items that are checked out or are "new" can be requested.
- If you can't find an available copy of your desired item in URSUS, click on the "Search MaineCat " button to request the item through the statewide MaineCat catalog. If there is still no available copy, you may request the title at the Maine State Library Reference Desk.
Other available Maine State Library services
- Ask a librarian - view options
- Contact a reference librarian by email for a subject or information request
- Use : Maine's virtual library of online reference resources, journals and other materials available for use both in libraries, schools, and homes.
- Find a Maine library
- Order through Books By Mail (eligibility requirements)
- Request Talking Books or Large Print Books (eligibility requirements)