Individual Health Insurance
Federal law requires that all individuals have healthcare insurance that meets specific criteria, by March 31, 2014. Individual plans may be purchased Off-Marketplace – directly through the insurance carrier, an agent or broker – or through the Healthcare Marketplace. However, only plans purchased through the Marketplace, at www.healthcare.gov, are eligible for subsidies. The plans available through the Marketplace are those offered by Anthem and Maine Health Community Options.
What Insurance Plans are Available?
- Anthem, Maine Community Health Options (MCHO), Harvard Pilgrim Health Care (HPHC) and MEGA are offering individual health insurance plans in Maine. The plans are organized by “metal level:” Bronze, Silver and Gold, and Catastrophic (the latter is only available to individuals under the age of 30). Get an overview of the plans and an estimate of what your premium will cost, using our CALCULATOR.
- There are also stand alone dental plans available:
Where Can I Get More Information About Subsidies and Tax Credits?
- For more information about the Marketplace, subsidies and tax credits, visit www.enroll207.com. At this site, you can also find a Marketplace “Navigator” in Maine, who can help you with completing an application. Just enter your zip code at www.enroll207.com/locator.
How Will My Rates be Determined?
- The premium rates for the new individual healthcare plans and the types of plans offered vary, based on your age, the county where you live and your tobacco use.
What plans are available through the Exchange/Marketplace?
- Below are approved plans that are representative of the plans that will be available on the exchange/marketplace beginning October 1, 2013.
Anthem BlueCross and BlueShield Individual Plans:
- HMO-POS (North) Certificate of Coverage - PDF
- HMO (South) Certificate of Coverage - PDF
Maine Community Health Options Individual Health Plans:
- Community Safe Harbor - PDF
- Community Option - PDF
- Community Options - HSA - PDF