Skip Maine state header navigation

Agencies | Online Services | Help

Skip First Level Navigation | Skip All Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions - Licensing

Can an insurer scan or otherwise copy the Maine Insurance Bureau's application forms for producers, agencies, consultants and adjusters so that the forms can be filled out on the computer?

Yes, application forms may be reproduced for use in Maine.

Can an applicant submit their producer, consultant, adjuster, or agency application via e-mail?

Yes, an application may be submitted via e-mail as long as the hard copy of the application is also submitted later. In the future, the Bureau of Insurance expects to develop a procedure for submitting applications via e-mail that will not require subsequent submission of the hard copy.

Does an adjuster who adjusts claims for several insurers that comprise a group of affiliated insurers have to be licensed?

Title 24-A MRSA § 1402 exempts "employees of insurers" from the definition of adjuster. The Bureau of Insurance has interpreted this exemption to include an employee of a group of affiliated insurers as long as the adjuster does not adjust claims for any unrelated insurer or for an insured.

Must a licensed producer, adjuster, or consultant report disciplinary actions brought by other jurisdictions or criminal convictions that are finalized after they file the initial application in Maine?

Yes, a producer, adjuster, or consultant is under a continuing obligation pursuant to Title 24-A MRSA § 1419 to report within 30 days any material changes in the conditions or qualifications set forth for licensure in the original application to the Maine Bureau of Insurance .

[back to top]


Last Updated: August 22, 2012