Schools of Cosmetology and Barbering
Schools of Cosmetology and Barbering means any person, partnership, association or corporation located either within or outside the State must obtain a license as specified under section 14246 from the Program before operating or maintaining any school of barbering or school of cosmetology within the State or before collecting any tuition, fee or other charge for operating or maintaining such a school within the State.
How to apply
- Annual base on first issue date.
Complete and submit the Application for Initial School License with the following information:
- Fee of $500.00 payable to the Treasurer, State of Maine or pay by credit card by completing the authorization form;
Please provide the following on separate attachments:
- Documentation that the school meets applicable Maine fire safety and local building code standards. Such documentation should include copies of current permits or certificates indicating compliance.
- A floor plan and description of the facility which will house the school and its program. Attention should be given to identifying the use made of the indicated areas, and the dimensions and square footage of each.
- Tuition, Fees, Other Charges: Cite catalog/brochure page(s).
- Admission Requirements: Cite catalog/brochure page(s).
- Instructional Staff: For each staff member, please indicate name, background experience and teaching assignment. Include the license number, license expiration date, and date of employment for each.
- Record Keeping and Reporting Procedures: Submit copies of all forms.
- Academic Progress Standards: Enclose copies or cites catalog/brochure page(s).
- Graduation Requirements: Enclose copies or cites catalog/brochure page(s).
- Tow copies of the school's current catalog/brochure must be submitted.
- Evidence shall be submitted to indicate that the school has a valid surety bond as required by 32 MRSA, Subchapter IV, §14246(1). The appropriate form for completion is enclosed.
- A copy of the most recently financial statement as required by 32 MRSA, Subchapter IV, §14246(2) and program rules shall be submitted with the school's application for licensure.
- A copy of the school's current liability insurance policy that meets the requirements set in rule.
Application form - New School
Get the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to access PDF files.
Renewal fees and information
- Annual renewal fee is $500.00.
- This license renews annually.
- Each submission for a license renewal must include the school's most recent financial audit conducted by a certified public accountant not affiliated with the school. When a school does not participate in federal or state financial aid programs, internally prepared financial statements signed by the applicant are acceptable. Every renewal application must include a bond in the required amount. The school must certify that:
- The school has included information in all school brochures and handbooks provided to students, and has posted information in a location in the school frequented by students advising students of their rights to receive refunds and where to direct any complaints the students have concerning their education; and
- The school is in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations.
- Renewal letters are mailed approximately 60 days prior to the license expiration date. It is the licensee's responsibility to keep the Program informed of the current license address and/or to see that the license is renewed timely even if you do not recieve a renewal reminder.
- Application for License Renewal and submit.
The Department must verify that you have met all the conditions for renewal before your license is renewed. Online submission of your renewal application should not be construed as automatic renewal of your license.
September 4, 2012