Psychological examiner means a person practices as a "psychological examiner" within the meaning of
this chapter when he holds himself out to be a psychological examiner, or renders to individuals or to the
public for remuneration services involving the application of recognized principles, methods and procedures
of the science and profession of psychology, but limited to interviewing or administering and interpreting
tests of mental abilities, aptitudes, interests and personality characteristics, for such purposes as psychological
evaluation or for educational or vocational selection, guidance or placement. A psychological examiner
may provide intervention, such as consultation, behavior management or social skills training under the
supervision of a licensed psychologist or as otherwise provided in law or rules issued in accordance with this
chapter. A psychological examiner may not provide psychotherapy services under any circumstances. The State Board of Examiners of Psychologists shall establish rules for supervision of psychological examiners for
How to apply
- License fee: $200.00.
- Criminal background check fee: $21.00
- Conditional License fee $200.00 (Cannot renew)
- Temporary License fee $200.00 (Cannot renew)
Conditional and Temporary Licenses:
- 1 year from date of issue
- Completed application form
- Recent photograph
- Documentation of supervised experience
- Three completed reference forms
- Official transcripts in a sealed envelope
- Copy of a current license
- Verification of licensure from each state where the applicant holds or has ever held a license
- Exam scores must be sent directly to the Board from the Testing Company
- If applying for conditional license or a temporary license a letter of agreement must be signed by you and a licensed Maine psychologist who will be supervising your work
- Examiners can apply to obtain intervention privileges.
- Received a masters degree from an accredited institution
- Has had at least 1 year of experience in psychology
- Pass the National Board Exam- Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP), passing score 65%, and pass the Maine Jurisprudence Exam.
- Demonstrate that you are trustworthy and competent to engage in the practice of psychology as to safeguard the interests of the public.
Get the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to access PDF files.
Renewal fees and information
- Annually renewal fee is $125.00.
- This license renews annually on April 30.
- Renewal applications received after the expiration date will required a late fee of $50.00 An individual who submits an application for renewal more than 90 days after the license expiration date is subject to all requirements governing new applicants under this chapter, except that the board may, in its discretion and giving due consideration to the protection of the public, waive examination if that renewal application is made within 2 years from the date of that expiration. The ninety-day extended renewal period should not in any way be construed to permit the practice of psychology after the date of expiration.
- Renewal reminders are mailed approximately 60 days prior to the license expiration date. It is the licensee's responsibility to keep the Board informed of the current license address and/or to see that the license is renewed absent the renewal application.
- Continuing Education - The continuing education period for the 2014 renewal is from May 1, 2012 to April 30, 2014. The board is no longer requiring the submission of continuing education log reports in January nor is it accepting continuing education documents at the time of licensure renewal. Continuing education will be certified on the renewal form you complete. Submission of logs and continuing education documents will take place when the board conducts an audit of a randomly selected group of licensees. You will receive written notice if selected for an audit.
- Fill out the online renewal application and submit.
The Department must verify that you have met all the conditions for renewal before your license is renewed. Online submission of your renewal application should not be construed as automatic renewal of your license.
March 21, 2013