Continuing Education Requirement for License Renewal – DO IT RIGHT!
Active associate brokers, brokers and designated brokers are required to complete 21 clock hours of approved continuing education, which includes the 3 clock hour core course that is mandatory at the time of renewal, as a prerequisite to the renewal of a license. A renewal license will be issued upon receipt of the renewal application, fee and confirmation by the licensee that the required continuing education has been completed. The statement of completion does not mean you “think” you’ve completed the required hours or that you intend to complete the hours at a later date. When you check the “yes” response to the continuing education question that means you are attesting to the truthfulness of the statement and that the Commission can rely upon the response to issue the license. If it is found after audit that you had not completed the required 21 clock hours, sanctions similar to the range noted above may be imposed.
Do it Right!
Keep a file of your continuing education course certificates. In addition to the course certificates keep a list of the courses you’ve completed including name of the sponsor, course title and date of completion. If you misplace a certificate, you can contact the sponsor for a replacement.
Before you renew:
- Review each certificate to confirm the course is approved by the Maine Real Estate Commission;
- Count the number of clock hours, which must include the core course that is mandatory at the time of your renewal, to be sure they total a minimum of 21 clock hours; and
- Check the dates of completion reported on the certificates to be certain the courses were completed within the current renewal term.
After you renew:
- Keep the course certificates in a readily accessible place for four years (the current renewal term and the previous renewal term) in case you are audited by the Commission and need to submit copies of the certificates in response to the audit; and
- Start a new continuing education certificate file for the courses completed after the issuance date of your renewal license. REMEMBER, the new renewal term begins on the issuance date of your renewal license.
If you have questions about continuing education courses, requirements, or the mandatory core course, check the Commission’s website:www.maine.gov/professionallicensing or call the Commission office - 207) 624-8521 or 624-8518.
If you cannot find the answer to your question, click HERE to send an e-mail message to the Real Estate Commission.
Last Updated: January 31, 2014