Systematic registration of births, deaths and marriages on a statewide basis began in Maine in 1892.
- Searchable Marriage Index (1892 to 1996 - NOTE: there is a gap from 1967 to 1976 missing)
- Searchable Death Index (1960 to 1996)
- About Vital Records Before 1892
Ordering Birth, Death, Marriage, and Divorce Certificates
Records from 1892-1922:
Birth, death and marriage records from 1892-1922 are available in the Maine State Archives research room or can be ordered by mail from the Archives.
Records from 1922-1955:
Microfilm copies of birth, marriage, and death records from 1922-1955 are available for viewing by patrons in the State Archives research room.
Records from 1923 - Present:
Certified copies of birth, death, or marriage records from 1923 to the present are available from the Office of Vital Records or from the city or town where the event took place. Divorce records from 1892 through the present may be obtained from the Office of Vital Records.
Instructions for ordering certified copies from the Office of Vital Records:
To order from a municipality, check the town/city website or the municipal office.
Who can obtain vital records?
Maine has new laws - learn more.
Top Online Services
- Archives Records Search
- Birth, Marriage, & Death Record Searches
- Public Criminal History Records
- Ask a Maine Reference Librarian
- Ask a Law or Legislative Reference Librarian