Skip Maine state header navigation

Agencies | Online Services | Help

Skip First Level Navigation | Skip All Navigation

Home > State Agency Record Managers > Records Management Forms

Records Management Forms Policy

This policy provides the procedures for submitting Records Management forms, and identifies who has the authority to approve/sign for the following actions.  Every agency must have an appointed Records Officer who will follow the Records Management forms policy. Except for the Request for Reference Services form, all Records Management forms, including transmittal forms, require the signature of a Records Officer/Assistant (or Commissioner/Agency Head).  Any agency seeking to send boxes to the Records Center must have the authorization from the agency Records Officer before the material can be accepted. 

State Agency Responsibility
The head of each agency will appoint a Records Officer.  The Records Officer will be responsible for the efficient management of records for that agency, including digital records, in compliance with the policies of the State Archivist.  The person chosen as Records Officer should have a thorough knowledge of the organization and its functions.

Who has Authorization?

  • Request for Reference Services –Agency cardholders can sign this form and request records from the Records Center.  Anyone seeking to retrieve records must have an access number.  Records Officers and Assistants can also sign this form and request records.
  • Application for Records Retention Schedule and Records Series Inventory –any inventory may list a specific contact person, but the forms must be signed by an Agency Records Officer or Agency Head.
  • Transmittal of Records –the packing of boxes for transfer to the Records Center needs an oversight process and final approval by a Records Officer/Assistant or Agency Head before records are accepted, even though boxes are often packed by agency cardholders.
  • Records Officer/Cardholder Form – Records Officers and Assistants need approval from the Commissioner or Agency Head.  Cardholders can be added by the Agency Records Officer.
  • Disposition Notice – this form needs to be authorized by a Records Officer/Assistant or Agency Head.