Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Telephone: (207) 624-9000 Ext. 52131
Fax: (207) 622-5332
All motor carriers (for-hire carriers and private motor carriers) operating commercial motor vehicles must, unless exempted, obtain a U. S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) number. Vehicles exempt from the requirement of obtaining a USDOT Number are specified in 29-A M.R.S.A. §556. For purposes of the USDOT number requirement, a commercial motor vehicle is any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate or intrastate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle –
- Has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight (GVW) or gross combination weight, of 10,001 pounds (4,536 kg) or more, whichever is greater; or
- Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or
- Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or
- Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous under 49 U.S.C. § 5103 and transported in a quantity requiring placarding under regulations prescribed by the Secretary.
Effective September 1, 2012, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) eliminated the ‘Vehicle Registrant Only’ company operation type. This operation type was used to designate a person or company as a non-motor carrier not authorized to operate in interstate commerce unless leased on to a motor carrier. Effective June 6, 2012, the State of Maine no longer requires a USDOT number for commercial motor vehicle registrants who are not motor carriers. Commercial motor vehicle registrants meeting either of the following two conditions are no longer required to provide a USDOT number at the time of registration:
- The registrant is an owner-operator never operating commercial motor vehicles under its own USDOT number or operating authority; or
- The registrant owns and registers commercial motor vehicles for the sole purpose of renting or leasing those vehicles to motor carriers who will operate the commercial motor vehicles to transport goods.
All IRP registrants will still be required to provide USDOT numbers for all motor carriers responsible for the safety of their fleet vehicles.
Interstate and intrastate motor carriers are subject to the marking requirements under 49 C.F.R. § 390.21. The USDOT number must be displayed on both sides of the commercial motor vehicle prior to beginning operation.
USDOT numbers are issued by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and can be obtained online at http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/register-or-update-registration-online free of charge.
Motor carriers operating commercial motor vehicles with gross vehicle (combination) weight ratings or gross vehicle (combination) weights greater than 26,000 pounds can obtain USDOT number applications from any Bureau of Motor Vehicles branch office or by calling the Bureau’s Motor Carrier Services Section at 624-9000, extension 52131. The Bureau will process USDOT number applications for motor carriers in this group.
The Bureau of Motor Vehicles does not process USDOT number applications for motor carriers operating commercial motor vehicles with gross weights of 26,000 pounds or less. Motor carriers in this group should use FMCSA’s online service or the services of a processing agent to obtain a USDOT number.
¹ The Maine State Police has adopted the federal requirements for the display of USDOT numbers on intrastate vehicles. Questions should be directed to the Maine State Police, Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Unit at (207) 624-8939.