Skip Maine state header navigation

Agencies | Online Services | Help

Skip First Level Navigation | Skip All Navigation

March 7, 2007
Contact: Don Cookson

Secretary of State:
"Permanent revocation for Scott Hewitt"

Secretary Matthew Dunlap says report of drug use is key factor in revocation term

Augusta, ME - Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap is announcing today a notice of permanent revocation has been issued to 34 year old Scott Hewitt of Caribou.

“As demanded by Maine law, Scott Hewitt’s Maine driver’s license has been ordered permanently revoked,” said Dunlap. “The death caused by Mr. Hewitt was a needless tragedy, and it is my sincere wish that he never get behind the wheel of any motor vehicle ever again, in Maine or any other state. Details of his marijuana use as presented by the Kennebec County District Attorney's office allow for a permanent revocation, and that is the penalty imposed in this case.”

Hewitt was the driver of a commercial tractor trailer truck proven to be the cause of a fatal crash along Interstate 95 on July 29, 2005. That wreck resulted in the death of 40 year old Tina Turcotte of Scarborough. An investigation by the Kennebec County District Attorney’s office indicated Hewitt was under the influence of marijuana at the time his truck crashed into the back of Turcotte’s automobile.

The revocation of Hewitt’s license is effective as of the date of his conviction in Kennebec County Superior Court. The permanent revocation period is for not less than ten years, and does not begin until he is released from incarceration. At the end of that ten year period, Hewitt may petition the state for the right to reapply for an operator’s license. A hearing to determine whether or not Hewitt was eligible for reinstatement at that time would be mandatory. The family of Mr. Hewitt’s victim, Tina Turcotte, would be invited to participate at that hearing. “Extending an invitation to Tina Turcotte’s family guarantees the impact of Mr. Hewitt’s criminal behavior would not be forgotten or overlooked by the hearing examiner,” Dunlap remarked, “making it highly unlikely indeed that restoration would be approved.”

On February 16, 2007, Hewitt was ordered to serve 10 years in prison with all but 30 months suspended, followed by 4 years of probation.