For Immediate Release
March 22, 2010
Contact: Nicole Ladner
*** Media Advisory ***
Maine History Day Competition Brings Students to Augusta
State Winners will travel to Maryland for National History Day
AUGUSTA -- On Wednesday, March 24, 2010, 250 middle and high school students from 16 schools across the State will take part in Maine's National History Day Competition, a program administered by the Secretary of State. This year's competition will be held at the University of Maine at Augusta and will begin at 9:00 a.m. as students arrive and display their entries for the judges. Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap will present the awards to the winners in eight different categories of the competition at approximately 2:00 p.m. Students with winning projects will be qualified to compete in the National History Day Competition to be held at the University of Maryland in June.
"Maine’s National History Day program has seen exceptional growth this year with an additional 100 students registering projects," said Dunlap. "The program is appealing to educators because of the extensive research skills it teaches and to students because it allows them to showcase their knowledge on a topic meaningful to them in a format outside of the traditional term paper."
This annual event is open to all students in grades 6 through 12. Each year students prepare projects that explore a broad historical theme. This year's theme is: Innovation in History: Impact and Change. Students can create a performance, exhibit, documentary, website, or submit a historical paper on their topic.
Additional information about the Maine program, including a list of participating schools, contest details, prizes and awards, and research sources can be found on the Secretary of State’s website: www.maine.gov/sos/arc/historyday/index.html.
Schools Participating in 2010 Maine History Day
- Eric L. Knowlton School, Berwick
- Noble Middle School, Berwick
- Brunswick Junior High School, Brunswick
- Buckfield Jr/Sr High School, Buckfield
- Bonny Eagle High School, Buxton
- Bonny Eagle Middle School, Buxton
- Deer Isle-Stonington Elementary School, Deer Isle
- TW Kelley Dirigo Middle School, Dixfield
- Gorham Middle School, Gorham
- Shapleigh Middle School, Kittery
- Loranger Middle School, Old Orchard Beach
- Thornton Academy, Saco
- Scarborough Middle School, Scarborough
- Hartford Sumner Elementary School, Sumner
- Massabesic High School, Waterboro
- Massabesic Middle School, Waterboro