Maine Suicide Prevention Program
Education, Resources and Support - It's Up to All of Us.
Suicidal behavior is complex and frightening. The impact of a suicide is devastating to family, friends, and entire communities. The frequency of suicide in Maine is cause for concern - there is one suicide every two days on average.
From 2005-2009, there were 901 deaths by suicide in the Maine population. Suicide is the tenth leading cause of death for Maine residents, accounting for an average of 180 deaths annually. Of every 5 suicides, 4 are males.
Firearms were used in 53% of suicide deaths, poison in 22% and suffocation in 20% of all suicides during this time period. For every homicide there were 7 suicides during this time period.
Suicide prevention is up to all of us.
- Crisis Resources (word*)
- Youth Sucide Prevention Referral & Tracking Toolkit (pdf)
- Suicide Postvention for Schools (pdf)
- Please take our Survey
- Maine and National Suicide Prevention Resources (word*)
- Responding to Suicidal Behavior (pdf)
- Suicide Prevention, Intervention, & Postvention Guidelines - Fourth Edition, 2009 (pdf)(620 kb)