To the Researcher
The State Library's genealogy collection spans a large geographical area, primarily emphasizing Maine, with good coverage of Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
Other parts of New England are included as well, with some additional sources on northeastern states. We also have a growing collection of materials relating to Quebec Province and the Maritimes. See Eastern Canada resources [PDF, 79 KB]
The Maine State Library subscribes to:
- Ancestry Library Edition [Use is ONLY from within a public library] - access to thousands of vital records online
- HeritageQuest - offers genealogy information, including census data, local history articles, Revolutionary War records and more.
The State Library is affiliated with FamilySearch International. You may search their catalog, select the microfilm that you'd like to borrow, submit the appropriate fees online using PayPal or credit card, and have it delivered to us for your viewing. Fees start at $7.50 per roll of film; microfiche is also available for a very small amount.
Please contact us if you need assistance!
Maine State Genealogical Researcher Card
- Do you need a genealogical researcher card? Review the related law - Chapter 58, LD 258, 125th Maine Legislature (Word) - An Act Relating to Access to Vital Records
- This application to acquire a Maine Center for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) researcher card, will allow genealogists to obtain non-certified copies of birth, marriage and death records from either the State Vital Records Unit, or from any municipal office.
- In order to receive a Maine CDC issued researcher card, an applicant must be a member of an established genealogical society, provide proof of membership, provide positive proof of identity, and submit the required fee ($50) along with this application.
City Directories - A list of city directories for various years. These directories are only available for in-library use. Not every year is available for each city or town.
Microfilm Availability List: Newspapers/journals with available publication dates
Find Specific Materials
To find the specific types of materials listed below, search our catalog using subject, author or keyword searches as described.
Tip: Materials in our library will have either “H” or “MSL” beside them on the screen
Search by subject: enter the name of the place.Close
Search by subject: enter the name of the place with the terms "Periodicals" or "Politics and government".Close
Search by subject: enter the place name and "Genealogy" or "Statistics vital".Close
Search by subject: enter the place name followed by "Church history" or "Genealogy"; for cemeteries, use "Cemeteries-(place)".Close
Search by subject: enter: "(place)-Genealogy", or "Wills-(place)", or "Probate records-(place)".Close
Search by subject: enter: "Maine Census", with or without the year; same format with other states. Ask for help with the microfilm!
Census data available from 1790 through 1850. [RTF, 40.3 KB]Close
Search by subject: enter "Pensions-(war, group)", or "Military pensions"; "United States History-(war)-Registers", "(War)-Registers"; for regiments: full name of the regiment, or "United States History (War)-Regimental histories".Close
Search by subject: enter "Genealogy-Indexes", "Genealogy-Dictionaries", "Genealogy-Bibliography".Close
The Surname Index (Maine Old Cemetery Association records) is on microfilm; ask for help at the circulation desk."Close
10. Individual and collective genealogies and family histories, biographical collections pertaining to Maine and other states.
Search by subject: enter the last name: "(_______) family".Close Close
Search by subject: enter "(name of province) Genealogy".Close
Search by subject: enter "Franco Americans".Close
Search by subject: enter "Church records and registers (place)".Close
Search by subject: enter "Genealogy Acadians" and/or "Genealogy Huguenots".Close
Search by author: "Daughters of the American Revolution", etc.; use the name of the organization.Close
17. Periodicals published by the various national, state and local historical societies and associations.
Search by subject: enter "Genealogy Periodicals"; you can also use the name of the society as the author.Close
Search by subject: enter "Heraldry (place)".Close
19. Books of instruction for beginners in genealogical research as well as world sources for the professional genealogist.
Search by subject: enter "Genealogy", "Genealogy Dictionaries", "Genealogy Forms" and "Genealogy Methodology".Close
Refer to Maine State Library's in-house access to Ancestry.com; HeritageQuest (remote access) and the Civil War Resources (See right sidebar ).Close
- Maine Civil War Sesquicentennial
- Maine in the Civil War, a selected list of material [PDF, 772 KB] This file requires the free Adobe Reader.
- On This Day in Civil War History - Bowdoin College's daily Civil War blog
Special Civil War Databases
- American Civil War Letters and Diaries
- American Civil War Research Database
- Images of the American Civil War
- For databases above: Contact the reference staff for help. Only Maine State Library card holder.