Legislation relating to Maine Libraries
Maine State Legislation relating to libraries
LD 13, An Act To Provide an Exemption from Sales Tax and Service Provider Tax to Nonprofit Collaboratives of Libraries
Provides an exemption from sales tax and service provider tax for certain nonprofit library collaboratives, such as Maine InfoNet.
LR 887, An Act To Amend the Laws Governing the Confidentiality of Library Records
Although the final language for this legislation has not been printed, the intent of the bill is to strenthen protections in Maine law relating to the confidentiality of patron library records. The bill will be assigned a LD number once it is printed.
Provides funding to support the continued work of the library’s early childhood literacy consultant, Shannon Schinagl and creates a position that would work part time at the Maine State Library to support statewide digitization efforts.
How to provide input on library legislation
Call your local legislator
- Contact information: Appropriations and Financial Affairs
- Senate Information: Senate Number- 287-1500
- House of Representatives Information:Speaker House Number - 287-1300
- Find your State Representative or State Senator
Follow the Text and Status of Legislative Documents
Laws and Libraries
Maine Statues & Laws
- Maine State Statutes - fully searchable, either by word, phrase, title or section and a useful "search tips" reference
- Search Laws of Maine
- Laws of Maine reflecting changes made through the Second Regular Session of the 125th Legislature, which adjourned May 31, 2012, is now available. Each section, chapter and title of the Maine Revised Statutes may be downloaded in both RTF (Word) and PDF (Adobe) formats.
- Please note that this version of the Maine Revised Statutes is an unofficial version. You are encouraged to check the Maine Revised Statutes Annotated for the official version. If you find any errors or discrepancies in this online version of the Maine Revised Statutes, please notify the Revisor of Statutes